Monday, April 2, 2012

Interrupted by Rachel Coker

Interrupted: Life Beyond WordsInterrupted: Life Beyond Words by Rachel Coker
My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I went into this book being completely unaware that it was Christian historical fiction so I was a little surprised when I started reading but that was my own fault for not researching more. Sometimes I like to start a book and just be surprised though and this book didn't disappoint!

Allie's mom drove me a little crazy. It was sad when she died but I definitely wasn't shedding any tears. Allie herself had her moments where I had to grit my teeth because she had a way of coming off as abrasive and overly proud but because of her past, I could see (mostly) where she was coming from.

My biggest issue was how long this bitterness and anger clung to Allie. Despite other people offering love and support, she repeatedly turned it down. She was mean, hurtful and just over all unpleasant. I understand the purpose of it but for me, personally, it made it hard to identify and sympathize with her as a character.

The biggest highlight of the book for me was Sam! I am a sucker for a sweet guy. His patience and forgiveness was something to be admired and I enjoyed him thoroughly. I see the parallels between Sam and how a christian person should behave. It did have a happy ending and I felt like there was a moral lesson to be found in the book as well.

As far as the writing style went, the book was easy to read but had some rough spots where the sentance didn't flow in quite the right sort of rythem. I am not usually a fan of the Christian genre anymore (I got burnt out on Janet Oake and the like!) but I am really excited to see how this author grows. I have a feeling the more she writes, the more things will smooth out and she really has the potential to be amazing. I will definitely be keeping my eyes open for more from Rachel Coker!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment