Saturday, April 7, 2012

Shelf Candy Saturday



I have missed a couple of Shelf Candy Saturday and that makes me sad because we all know how much I love them! Let's get down to the details, shall we? Shelf Candy Saturday is a meme hosted by the lovely ladies over at Five Alarm Book Reviews. It's purpose is to showcase cover art that we find beautiful/interesting/unique/intriguing, etc.

This week, I am showing some more cover love for Miss Amelie. She revealed this cover over on her blog and if you want to find out more about Thomas & January (which I am so ridiculously excited about!!) head on over to her blog where you can read the first chapter! Also, if you haven't read Callum & Harper yet, you should go do that immediately. Shoo! It's on Amazon and B&N and it will be the best $2.99 you have ever spent!


So, on to this cover. If you read my previous shelf candy's you will know that I LOVE the cover to Callum & Harper and I might love this cover even more if that is possible. I am so intrigued! We'll start with the top half. I absolutely love the delicate pattern in the background. It looks like maybe a mix of leaves and ferns. It is subtle and classy looking, almost giving the background a texture of its own. It reminds me of really old wall paper and I think it is the perfect backdrop for the photo and the heart with the initials. I love the photo. It looks young and innocent and the scotch tape is a perfect addition to make it look even more real and authentic. The heart is so very young love, it just screams it. 

The colors and patterns inside the letters of the title complete grab your attention, as does the dark purple background color. You can still see the faint etching of the leaves and ferns but they seem a bit more hidden. It's an awesome contrast and really makes the title pop off of the cover. 

The bottom, to me, is the most intriguing of all! A suitcase? Briefcase? Lock box? It looks like a really old style suitcase to me. There's a lot going on there. The planets, Earth and Mars? I want to know what they symbolize within the story. The American flag combined with the suitcase makes me think of travelling..or new beginnings...it could mean so much! It really keeps you guessing about what exactly could go on within the pages of this book. It's intriguing and curious. The tree is beautiful with all the colors, so vibrant against the otherwise somewhat muted colors of the bottom half of the cover. Why is it so colorful? Why is there a tree planted in a suitcase of soil? What is that crumbled up piece of paper in front of the case? So many questions! Yet again, this cover does exactly what it should. It catches the eye of the reader, draws them in and makes them want to know more about the book. 

Also, as a side note, I love how she has continued with the same sort of theme for the cover that Callum & Harper had. I think the two books would look beautiful side by side on a book shelf! 

9 comments:

  1. This cover is A-MAZING! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the mix of colors and the way some of the elements look they they were cut and pasted onto the design. Its really unique and eye catching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surprisingly, I haven't read Callum & Harper yet, though I've heard a lot of great things about it. And you're right, this cover looks absolutely lovely. The colors and style is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really great book! Very touching and dramatic. Highly recommended!

      Delete
  4. The font is terrific. The cover is so original and I love the implementation of the watercolor techniques. I can't believe I have never seen this cover before. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This cover is so awesome. I love the colors and the style. I have not heard of this book before. The cover alone made me add it to my TBR list. thanks for sharing. my SCS http://jennreneeread.blogspot.com/2012/04/shelf-candy-saturday-8-dead-is-by.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore this cover! I loved the cover of Callum & Harper and I read and loved the books so I'm looking forward to this one. (That reminds me that I have to post my review for Callum & Harper,I totally forgot). I didn't know this would be a type of series. I'm so glad there's another one coming out. But this cover really is even more amazing than the one for Callum & Harper. I love everything that's going on with the cover. I especially love the tree "growing out of the suitcase". It leads me to believe that this book illustrates that amazing things can happen on a journey, like personal growth. And love the cute polaroid at the top and the T+J in the heart. I wonder if art and painting will play a roll in this one. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE THIS COVER! Thank you so much for sharing! The colors, the vibe, I am going to buy these two books right now! (well, maybe tomorrow morning because I'm sleepy!)
    :)
    You can find my shelf candy here: http://www.thewindypages.com/2012/04/shelf-candy-saturday-23.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, wow. This cover is absolutely amazing and definitely a must-have even though this is the first time I hear of this author, huh. But I'll definitely be adding to my TBR. Thank you for sharing! :D

    ReplyDelete