Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs

Blood Bound (Mercedes Thompson, #2)Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
((Blurb taken from goodreads.com))
Mechanic Mercy Thompson has friends in low places-and in dark ones. And now she owes one of them a favor. Since she can shapeshift at will, she agrees to act as some extra muscle when her vampire friend Stefan goes to deliver a message to another of his kind. But this new vampire is hardly ordinary-and neither is the demon inside of him.


Oh, Adam. Why must you always be wandering into trouble? It makes me laugh because he comes off as the competent, in control, undeniably sexy werewolf and yet there he is, yet again, being captured or injured. It's like he's a magnet for abduction. "Take me! I'm sexy and I will look good in your cages!" Of course, Samuel is getting into his share of trouble in Blood Bound as well. As much as him and Adam snark at each other, it seems they are always getting into trouble together, ending up stuck with one another as prisoners. Karma is a bitch, boys.

I had the same issues in this book as I did in the first. The 'action' part of the plot was a bit hard for me to follow but not as bad as it was in Moon Called. The world building was explained a bit more and I thoroughly enjoyed learning more about the inner workings of the vampire world. The way the seethe and menagerie worked was intriguing to me. I loved the way that Stefan was different than the other vampires but was still a vampire, if that makes sense. He has morals and standards but still, at the core, he is a vampire and still makes mistakes. Miss Briggs doesn't turn him into a fluffy bunny or take away his fangs just to make him appear like a good guy. He's an interesting character and a major player in this book so it is nice to understand him a bit more. A vampire with layers (like an onion!) is worth reading about. From driving a scooby van to killing innocent humans, he keeps you wondering what he is going to do next page after page.

The wolves weren't completely ignored in this installment either. We got to see a bit more of Ben and I have to say, I am so confused about him! I am torn between hating him, feeling sorry for him and being confused by him. I adored Warren as usual and Kyle was also amazing in this book. He is such a calm, voice of reason, character. I am interested to see what happens in Warren's plot line. The only one that I don't really have a connection with, strangely enough, is the Marrok. They talk about him a lot but I just don't really feel as interested in him as I do everyone else in the series.

If you are looking for a romance this might not be the series to get your fix from - at least not yet. The romance is slow building, very slow building, but for me it is worth it. It also makes sense due to the history Mercy has with Samuel and the attraction she has for Adam. Choosing between two sexy alpha male werewolves would be difficult for anyone, I would imagine!

In closing, I loved this book, I want to immediately start the third book and I am still sad that these book are not loanable because I am poor and the library is slow.


Be prepared here, beneath the adorable polar bear are spoilers! If you don't want to be spoiled, stop reading here!





  So, Stefan now also seems to be attracted to Mercy. He was whispering sweet nothings and then kissed her at the end. I am not sure how I feel about this. I understand the attraction from Samuel because of their history, I get Adam being attracted to her because of the story line and things that have happened between them. I don't understand the Stefan thing as much. Is it just because they have been through so much together? I don't like when every main male in a series has a thing for the lead female. It just doesn't seem realistic to me. I like Stefan and I don't want to see him get lost in a "love square".

No comments:

Post a Comment