Sunday, February 19, 2012

Fury of Fire by Coreene Callahan

Fury of Fire (Dragonfury, #1)Fury of Fire by Coreene Callahan
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Commander of the Nightfury dragons, BASTIAN leads by example and expects his warriors to follow Dragonkind's code. Honor is everything, duty no option, but when both dictate he be the first to take a mate and sire a son, Bastian falters. For the woman given into his care is most the extraordinary he's ever met and even as she steals his heart, he knows birthing his child will take her life.
Nurse practitioner, MYST MUNROE puts herself on the line everyday, pushing past the limits of endurance to bring medical expertise to her patients when they cannot come to her. When a late night home visit turns deadly, she lands in the middle of a battle between two warring factions, dragon-shifters living in secret among humankind. Taken to the Nightfury's lair, she must decide: return to the life she loves or risk everything to stay with the dragon-shifter who holds her heart.

You know, I have some serious mixed feelings about this book. I liked it well enough! It was an easy read that kept me fairly engaged. It wasn't one that I just couldn't put down or anything but I never got bored. It was nice reading about something other than werewolves. Dragons are pretty sweet!

I wasn't a huge fan of the lead female, Myst. I liked her in the beginning but it was like she suddenly had a flip in personality. I understand the whole bonding/mating thing happens quickly but damn. It just seemed extremely rushed. I did however love the dragons. I liked all the interaction between the males and would be interested in reading more about their friendships. The dragons, with their different abilities intrigued me as well.

Here is my qualm with the book...if you took out the dragons and replaced them with Vampires, you could slide it right in with the Black Dagger Brotherhood and it would be right at home. There were so many things that seemed kind of familiar to me and as I read more, I realized what it was.

"Shitkickers" "females of worth" "let me feed you as a male of worth should" "FUBAR"

By themselves it's not a big deal but all lumped together...it was just like reading a JR Ward book. Even the guy who ran around taking care of the dragons, doing their shopping and cooking was just like the doggen in BDB except it was an elf. I don't know...it seemed kind of cheap to me! I love the BDB (even if I haven't loved every single book) and I feel like it just got ripped off in this book. Not only that but there was a lot of brand name dropping which always kinds of bugs me. If someone picks up this book twenty years from now and reads it, are they really going to understand know or care who Jay-Z is, what kind of sunglasses they character is wearing or what Lanvin cologne smells like? I don't even know what Lanvin cologne smells like.

So it is hard because I liked the writing style, I liked the story line and the dragons. If I had never read any BDB books I would probably have loved this book. The real question it left me with is:

When is one story TOO MUCH like another story to be enjoyable?

No comments:

Post a Comment