Monday, February 6, 2012

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs

Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1)Moon Called by Patricia Briggs
My rating: 4 of 5 stars


((Blurb taken from Goodreads.com))
Mercy Thompson's life is not exactly normal. Her next-door neighbor is a werewolf. Her former boss is a gremlin. And she's fixing a VW bus for a vampire. But then, Mercy isn't exactly normal herself.

Some parts of this book had me completely confused. There were a lot of characters and sometimes I had a hard time keeping track of who was who. During the majority of the action scenes I found myself flipping back to see who the bad guys were and who the good guys were. I don't know if I just wasn't paying attention enough or if it really was that confusing. Some of the world building was a little unclear to me as well but that was a bit easier for me to figure out than the 'action' side of the plot was.

With that said....I still LOVED this book. Mercedes is a wonderful lead and she didn't get on my nerves (as so many of our leading ladies do) in the least. I liked how she wasn't part of the pack but still had the urge to follow pack rules. She wasn't a brat, she was respectful of the alpha while still being strong and independent in her own right. The whole walker thing kind of went over my head, I didn't really let the explanation sink in enough but I did enjoy the fact that she was a coyote when she shifted. It seemed different and unique to me and added another interesting aspect to the story.

The highlight of the book for me, without a doubt, was Adam. I am a sucker for an alpha male. I think it is because I have been reading so many contemporaries lately but I just immediately fell in love when Adam took charge. Maybe if I had read more paranormal romances lately I wouldn't have been as excited about all the growling and posturing but...I haven't. So I was. Excited, that is. I adored all the posturing and the growling and snarking going on, especially between Adam and Samuel.

Speaking of Samuel, I have mixed feelings. If there were only Samuel, with no Adam in the picture, I would probably just adore Samuel. I like him a lot but Adam is just the main wolf for me. I have had it up to the moon (haha the moon...werewolves...get it?!) with love triangles but this one I am not minding so much only for the fact that I like the scenes with Samuel and Adam together. Now the issue is getting my hands on the rest of the series.... ((Why oh why can't they be lendable!?))

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I really should start reading this series, thanks for the great review Jamie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really good so far! She is one of my favorite new leading ladies, I think. Hopefully the characters don't go downhill the longer it continues. I really hate when that happens to a good series!

    ReplyDelete